Dr Arvind Satyanarayan is an Assistant Professor of Computer Science at MIT, where he leads the Visualization Group at MIT CSAIL. His research uses interactive data visualization as a petri dish to study intelligence augmentation, or how do computational representations and software systems help amplify our cognition and creativity while respecting our agency.
His work has been recognized with an NSF CAREER award, best paper awards at academic venues (e.g., ACM CHI and IEEE VIS), and honorable mentions amongst practitioners (e.g., Kantar's Information is Beautiful Awards). Systems he has helped develop are widely used in industry, on Wikipedia, and in the Jupyter/Python data science communities.
He received his PhD from the Computer Science department at Stanford University, working with Jeffrey Heer and the UW Interactive Data Lab.
- Machine Learning,
- Data Visualisation.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Computer Science, Stanford University, USA
- Master of Science in Computer Science, Stanford University, USA
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (Hons.), University of California, San Diego, USA
- The Building Blocks of Interpretability, C Olah, A Satyanarayan, I Johnson, S Carter, L Schubert, K Ye, ..., Distill 3 (3), e10
- Vega-Lite: A Grammar of Interactive Graphics, A Satyanarayan, D Moritz, K Wongsuphasawat, J Heer, IEEE Trans. Visualization & Comp. Graphics (Proc. InfoVis) 2017
- Reactive Vega: A Streaming Dataflow Architecture for Declarative Interactive Visualization, A Satyanarayan, R Russell, J Hoffswell, J Heer, Visualization and Computer Graphics, IEEE Transactions on 22 (1), 659-668
- Lyra: An Interactive Visualization Design Environment, A Satyanarayan, J Heer, Computer Graphics Forum 33 (3), 351-360
- Webzeitgeist: design mining the web, R Kumar, A Satyanarayan, C Torres, M Lim, S Ahmad, SR Klemmer, Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems
- Authoring Narrative Visualizations with Ellipsis, A Satyanarayan, J Heer, Computer Graphics Forum 33 (3), 361-370
- Declarative interaction design for data visualization, A Satyanarayan, K Wongsuphasawat, J Heer, Proceedings of the 27th annual ACM symposium on User interface software
- Altair: Interactive Statistical Visualizations for Python, J VanderPlas, BE Granger, J Heer, D Moritz, K Wongsuphasawat, ..., The Journal of Open Source Software 3, 1057
- Augmenting Code with In Situ Visualizations to Aid Program Understanding, J Hoffswell, A Satyanarayan, J Heer, Proceedings of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems …
- Sherlock: A deep learning approach to semantic data type detection, M Hulsebos, K Hu, M Bakker, E Zgraggen, A Satyanarayan, T Kraska, ..., Proceedings of the 25th ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge …
- Critical reflections on visualization authoring systems, A Satyanarayan, B Lee, D Ren, J Heer, J Stasko, J Thompson, M Brehmer, ..., IEEE transactions on visualization and computer graphics 26 (1), 461-471
- VizNet: Towards A Large-Scale Visualization Learning and Benchmarking Repository, K Hu, N Gaikwad, M Hulsebos, M Bakker, E Zgraggen, C Hidalgo
- Visual Debugging Techniques for Reactive Data Visualization, J Hoffswell, A Satyanarayan, J Heer, Computer Graphics Forum (Proc. EuroVis)
- The CHI 2013 interactive schedule, A Satyanarayan, D Strazzulla, CN Klokmose, M Beaudouin-Lafon, ..., CHI'13 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, 2987-2990
- Using overlays to support collaborative interaction with display walls, A Satyanarayan, N Weibel, J Hollan, Proceedings of the 2012 ACM international conference on Intelligent User …
- Learning structural semantics for the web, M Lim, R Kumar, A Satyanarayan, C Torres, JO Talton, SR Klemmer, Tech. rep. CSTR 2012-03. Stanford University
- A platform for large-scale machine learning on web design, A Satyanarayan, M Lim, S Klemmer, CHI'12 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, 1697-1702
- The Reactive Vega Stack: Declarative Interaction Design for Data Visualization, A Satyanarayan, Stanford University. Stanford: Creative Commons
- Embedding Comparator: Visualizing Differences in Global Structure and Local Neighborhoods via Small Multiples, A Boggust, B Carter, A Satyanarayan, arXiv preprint arXiv:1912.04853
- Sociotechnical Considerations for Accessible Visualization Design, A Lundgard, C Lee, A Satyanarayan, 2019 IEEE Visualization Conference (VIS), 16-20