Vikram Singh Mehta is the chairman of the public policy research think tank “ Center for Social and Economic Progress “. Prior to that he was the Executive Chairman of Brookings India and Senior Fellow, Brookings Institution from 2012 to 2020. Prior to that, he was the Chairman of the Shell Group of Companies In India (1994-2012); Chief Executive of Shell Markets and Shell Chemicals, Egypt (1992-1993); Advisor, Strategic Planning to the state-owned company, Oil India (1984-1988). He started his career by joining the Indian Administrative Service in 1978. He resigned from the service in 1980.
Vikram is an independent, non-executive, director of Larsen and Toubro Ltd, Mahindra and Mahindra Ltd, Colgate Palmolive India Ltd, Apollo Tyres, Hindustan Times and Jubilant Foods. He is also on the Board of Thomson Reuters Founders Share Company.
Vikram is on the Board of Overseers of the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University; the Global Advisory Board of Macro Advisory partners; and was a member of the Board of Governors of the Pandit Deen Dayal University of Petroleum.
Vikram was the recipient of Asia House’s “Businessmen of the year” award for 2010. He also received Asia Centre for Corporate Governance and Sustainability‘s Award for “Best Independent Director” in India for 2016.
- B.A. (Honors) in Mathematics, St. Stephens College, Delhi University
- M.A. in Economics, Magdalen College, Oxford University
- Chairman, Shell Group of Companies in India, 1994-2012
- Managing Director, Shell Markets and Chemicals, Egypt, 1991-1994
- Joined Shell International, London, 1988
- Advisor, Oil India Limited, 1984-1988
- Distinguished Fellow, CSEP
- Member, National Council of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and Chairman, Hydrocarbons Committee
- Member, Board of Trustees, Mahindra & Mahindra
- Board Member, Colgate Palmolive India Limited, Hindustan Times, Larsen & Toubro
- Member, Board of Governors, Pandit Deen Dayal Petroleum University, Gujarat, India
- Member, Board of Overseers, Fletcher School of Law & Diplomacy, Tufts University
- Columnist, the Indian Express