Matthew T. Brown teaches and researches in the areas of sport business and finance. Brown's research has led to publications in journals like the Journal of Sport Management, Sport Marketing Quarterly, Entertainment and Sport Law Journal, the International Journal of Sport Finance, and Sport Management Review. In addition, he has made numerous national and international research presentations.
Brown currently serves as the chair of the Department of Sport and Entertainment Management. During the 2020-2021 academic year he served as Interim Dean of the College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management. Prior to that time, he served seven years as department chair and three as graduate director.
Brown has been a liaison between the department and the Lexington County Blowfish, a wood bat baseball team in the Coastal Plain League. In addition to his work with the Blowfish, Brown has served as the chief financial officer of the Southern Ohio Copperheads and treasurer of the Board of Directors of the Southern Ohio Collegiate Baseball Club. He was also the assistant girls varsity and head girls junior varsity tennis coach at Athens High School. In 2004, the team won its league championship.
Brown also worked in campus recreation, collegiate athletics (as both coach and administrator), and tennis club management. He served as the treasurer of the North American Society for Sport Management from 2006 to 2012. In 2003, Brown was named the Jefferson College Alumnus of the Year. He received the Garth Paton Distinguished Service Award from the North American Society for Sport Management in 2018.
- Sport Finance
- Sport Business Management
- Sport Economics
- Business Analytics in Sport
- Doctor of Education, Sport Administration, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, CO, USA
- Master of Science, Sport Management, Western Illinois University, Macomb, IL, USA
- Bachelor of Arts,Political Science, Area of Concentration: Business, Truman State University, Kirksville, MO, USA
- Associate of Arts, Political Science, Jefferson College, Hillsboro, MO, USA
- Gong, H., Watanabe, N.M., Soebbing, B., Brown, M.T., & Nagel, M.S. (in press). Do consumer perceptions of tanking impact attendance at National Basketball Association games? A sentiment analysis approach. Journal of Sport Management.
- Gong, H., Watanabe, N.M., Soebbing, B., Brown, M.T., & Nagel, M.S. (2022). Exploring tanking strategies in the NBA: An empirical analysis of resting healthy players. Sport Management Review, 25:3, 546-566, DOI: 10.1080/14413523.2021.1970972
- Evans, K., Shapiro, S., & Brown, M.T. (2020). External congruence factors contributing to sport sponsorship recall in pest control, pizza, and apparel categories. International Journal of Sport Management, 21, 131-150.
- Horne, E., & Brown, M.T., (2019). The retention of adult sport participants: The challenge of player ratings. Journal of Applied Sport Management, 11, 24-35.
- Gong, H., Watanabe, N.M., Brown, M.T., & Nagel, M.S. (2019). The impact of the Chinese Basketball Association’s Asian-born player policy on competitive balance. Journal of Global Sport Management, 4(2), 128-148.
- Koesters, T.C., Brown, M.T., & Nagel, M.S. (2017). Defending your sponsorship: The outlawing of “Paid Patriotism”. Sport Marketing Quarterly, 26, 121-124.
- Blair, J., Titlebaum, P., Brown, M.T., & Dick, R. (2016). Learn what the luxury suite customer wants. Applied Research in Coaching and Athletics Annual, 31, 224-248.
- Koesters, T.C., Brown, M.T., & Grady, J. (2015). You agreed to what? Implications of past agreements between donors and athletic support groups. Sport Marketing Quarterly, 24, 67-69.
- Bernthal, M.J., Koesters, T.C., Ballouli, K., & Brown, M.T. (2015). Motivations and fan engagement related to professional bass fishing spectatorship. Sport Marketing Quarterly, 24, 6-18.
- Brown, M.T., & Koesters, T. (2014). Beware of flying hotdogs: Inherent or unreasonable risks? Sport Marketing Quarterly, 23, 47-49.