Dr. Divyakant Agrawal is a Distinguished Professor of Computer Science at the University of California at Santa Barbara. His research expertise is in the areas of database systems, distributed computing, data warehousing, and large-scale information systems. During his professional career, Dr. Agrawal has served on numerous Program Committees of International Conferences, Symposia, and Workshops and served as an editor of the journal of Distributed and Parallel Databases (1993-2008), and the VLDB journal (2003-2008). He currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief of Distributed and Parallel Databases and is on the editorial boards of ACM Books. He has served on the Board of Trustees of the VLDB Endowment and on the Executive Committee of ACM Special Interest Group SIGSPATIAL. He is currently serving as the Chair of ACM Special Interest Group SIGMOD.
Dr. Agrawal's research philosophy is to develop data management solutions that are theoretically sound and are relevant in practice. He has published more than 400 research manuscripts in prestigious forums (journals, conferences, symposia, and workshops) on wide range of topics related to data management and distributed systems and has advised more than 40 Doctoral students during his academic career. Dr. Agrawal has been recognized as an Association of Computing Machinery (ACM) Distinguished Scientist in 2010 and was inducted as an ACM Fellow in 2012. He has also been inducted as a Fellow of IEEE in 2012 and Fellow of the AAAS in 2018. His current interests are in the area of scalable data management and data analysis in Cloud Computing environments, security and privacy of data in the cloud, and scalable analytics over social networks data and social media.
Design and development of large-scale distributed, scalable, and reliable data management platforms for storing, managing, and analyzing big data.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Computer Science, SUNY at Stony Brook, New York, USA.
- Bachelors of Electrical Engineering (Hons), Birla Institute of Technology and Science, India
- He received the 2011 Outstanding Graduate Mentor Award from the Academic Senate at UC Santa Barbara.
- Zhengkui Wang, Yue Wang, Kian-Lee Tan, Limsoon Wong, Divyakant Agrawal. (2011) eCEO: An efficient Cloud Epistasis Computing model in genome-wide association study: Bioinformatics 27(8): pg. 1045-1051.
- Divyakant Agrawal, Sudipto Das, Amr El Abbadi. (2011) Big Data and Cloud Computing: Current State and Future Opportunities: EDBT. pg. 530-533
- Dongxiang Zhang, Divyakant Agrawal, Gang Chen, Anthony K. H. Tung. (2011) HashFile: An efficient index structure for multimedia data: ICDE. pg. 1103-1114
- Ceren Budak, Divyakant Agrawal, Amr El Abbadi. (2011) Limiting the spread of misinformation in social networks: The 20th International World Wide Web Conference: pg. 665-674.
- Divyakant Agrawal, Amr El Abbadi, Sudipto Das, Aaron J. Elmore. (2011) Database Scalability, Elasticity, and Autonomy in the Cloud: DASFAA (1). pg. 2-15.
- Yuting Lin, Divyakant Agrawal, Chun Chen, Beng Chin Ooi, Sai Wu. (2011) Llama: leveraging columnar storage for scalable join processing in the MapReduce framework: SIGMOD Conference: 961-972
- Aaron J. Elmore, Sudipto Das, Divyakant Agrawal, Amr El Abbadi. (2011) Zephyr: Live migration in shared nothing databases for elastic cloud platforms: SIGMOD Conference: pg. 301-312.
- Meiyu Lu, Divyakant Agrawal, Bing Tian Dai, Anthony K. H. Tung. (2011) Schema-as-you-go: On probabilistic tagging and querying of wide tables: SIGMOD Conference: pg 181-192.
- Aaron Elmore, Sudipto Das, Divyakant Agrawal, Amr El Abbadi. (2011) Towards an Elastic and Multi-tenant Database: NetDB Workshop.
- Shoji Nishimura, Sudipto Das, Divyakant Agrawal, Amr El Abbadi (2011) MD-HBase: A Scalable Multi-dimensional Data Infrastructure for Location Aware Services: MDM.
- Ahmed K. Elmagarmid, Divyakant Agrawal. (2010) Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data, SIGMOD 2010, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA, ACM 2010.
- Divyakant Agrawal, Amr El Abbadi, Shyam Antony, Sudipto Das. (2010) Data Management Challenges in Cloud Computing Infrastructures: . Sixth International Workshop on Databases in Networked Information Systems DNIS: pg. 1-10.
- Sudipto Das, Divyakant Agrawal, Amr El Abbadi. (2010) G-Store: A scalable data store for transactional multi key access in the cloud: ACM Symposium on Cloud Computing SoCC: pg. 163-174.
- Shiyuan Wang, Divyakant Agrawal, Amr El Abbadi. Generalizing PIR for Practical Private Retrieval of Public Data: 24th IFIP Conference on Data and Applications Security and Privacy.
- Ceren Budak, Divyakant Agrawal, Amr El Abbadi. (2010) Where The Blogs Tip: Connectors, Mavens, Salesmen and Translators of the Blogosphere: ACM Workshop on Social Media Analytics (SOMA'2010), In conjunction with the International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining KDD.
- Shiyuan Wang, Divyakant Agrawal, Amr El Abbadi. (2010) HengHa: Data Harvesting Detection on Hidden Databases: ACM Workshop on Cloud Computing Security(CCSW 2010), In conjunction with the 17th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS)
- Divyakant Agrawal, Sudipto Das, Amr El Abbadi. (2010) Big Data and Cloud Computing: New Wine or just New Bottles?} International Conference on Very Large Databases (VLDB)
- Zhengkui Wang, Yue Wang, Kian-Lee Tan, Limsoon Wong, Divyakant Agrawal. (2010) CEO: A cloud epistasis computing model in GWAS: IEEE International Conference on Bioinformatics \& Biomedicine (BIBM) , pages 85-90
- Divyakant Agrawal, Pusheng Zhang, Amr El Abbadi, Mohamed F. Mokbel. Proceedings ACM GIS'2010: 18th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Symposium on Advances in Geographic Information Systems, ACM-GIS 2010, November 3- 5, 2010, San Jose, CA, USA.