Seshadri is the Michael J Cemo Associate Professor of Marketing at the Bauer College of Business, University of Houston. He has a PhD in Business Administration (Marketing) from the University of Southern California.
His research interests are related to social-media (User-Generated Content), advertising, marketing strategy and sales.
His past honours include the O'Dell award (2019) for the Journal of Marketing Research article published the last five years that has made the most significant, long-term contribution to marketing theory, methodology, and/or practice, Lehmann Award (2015) for best paper based on dissertation in Journal of Marketing/ Journal of Marketing Research, John A. Howard/AMA Doctoral Dissertation Award (2012), and best paper based on doctoral dissertation at European Marketing Conference (2009).
He was a finalist for the Marketing Science Institute-Paul Root Award (2020), Bass Dissertation award (2014, INFORMS Marketing Science) and an honourable mention in Shankar-Spiegel Award (2008), instituted by Marketing EDGE (formerly Direct Marketing Educators Foundation).
- User Generated Content/ Social Media Analytics
- Marketing Strategy
- Doctor of Philosophy( Ph.D.) in Business Administration, Marshall School of Business, University of Southern California, USA.
- Masters of Management, SJMSOM, Indian Institute of Technology-Bombay, India.
- B.E (Hons), Birla Institute of Technology and Science-Pilani, India.
- Tirunillai, Seshadri and Tellis, Gerard (2012). Does Chatter Really Matter? Dynamics of User-Generated Content and Stock Performance. Marketing Science (31-2 p198-215)
- Mining Marketing Meaning from Online Chatter: Seshadri Tirunillai and Gerard J. Tellis (2014) Strategic Brand Analysis of Big Data Using Latent Dirichlet Allocation. Journal of Marketing Research. 51:4, 463-479
- Tirunillai, Seshadri, and Gerard J. Tellis (2017). "Does offline TV advertising affect online chatter? Quasi-experimental analysis using synthetic control." Marketing Science 36.6, 862-878.
- Bommaraju, R., Ahearne, M., Hall, Z. R., Tirunillai, S., & Lam, S. K. (2018). The Impact of Mergers and Acquisitions on the Sales Force. Journal of Marketing Research, 55(2), 254-264.
- Bommaraju, R., Ahearne, M., Krause, R., & Tirunillai, S. (2019). Does a Customer on the Board of Directors Affect Business-to-Business Firm Performance? Journal of Marketing, 83(1), 8-23.
- Tellis, G. J., MacInnis, D. J., Tirunillai, S., & Zhang, Y. (2019). What drives virality (Sharing) of online digital content? The critical role of information, emotion, and brand prominence.Journal of Marketing, 83(4), 1-20.
- Shankar, Venkatesh, Kirthi Kalyanam, Pankaj Setia, Alireza Golmohammadi, Seshadri Tirunillai, Tom Douglass, John Hennessey, J. S. Bull, and Rand Waddoups. (2021) "How technology is changing retail." Journal of Retailing 97, no. 1: 13-27.