Dr Harsh Taneja (PhD, Northwestern University) is an Associate Professor in the College of Media at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Campaign. Before this he was an Assistant Professor at the Missouri School of Journalism at the University of Missouri. In addition to Academic experience, he has experience working in media and advertising at Publicis Media, BBC Global News and the Indian Express newspapers.
His program of research focuses on explaining audience behavior in an increasingly fragmented digital media environment and how measurement dynamics shape audiences, media and popular culture.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Media, Technology and Society, Northwestern University, USA
- Master of Business Administration in Communication Management, Mudra Institute of Communications, Ahmedabad, (MICA) India
- Bachelors in Engineering, NSIT, University of Delhi, India
Some of his recent Research Papers and Chapters are listed below:
- Taneja, H. & Yaeger, K., May 2 2019, CHI 2019 - Proceedings of the 2019 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. “Do people consume the news they trust? Incidental news usage and the high-choice media environment” Association for Computing Machinery, (Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - Proceedings).
- Wu, A. X. & Taneja, H., Oct 20 2019, “How did the data extraction business model come to dominate? Changes in the web use ecosystem before mobiles surpassed personal computers” In : Information Society. 35, 5, p. 272-285 14 p.
- Ng, Y. M. M. & Taneja, H., Dec 1 2019, “Mapping user-centric internet geographies: How similar are countries in their web use patterns?” In: Journal of Communication. 69, 5, p. 467-489 23 p.
- Taneja, H. & Wu, A. X., Jan 1 2019, “Web infrastructures and online attention ecology” In: International Journal of Communication. 13, p. 736-756 21 p.
- Webster, J. G. & Taneja, H., Jun 1 2018, “Building and interpreting audience networks: A response to mukerjee, majo-vazquez & gonzalez-bailon” In: Journal of Communication. 68, 3, p. E11-E14
- Nair, T. & Taneja, H., Nov 17 2018, “Mapping and measuring media ownership and control: A critical note”, In: Economic and Political Weekly. 53, 45, p. 63-65 3 p.
- “Pathways to fragmentation user flows and web distribution infrastructures” Taneja, H. & Wu, A. X., May 15 2018, WebSci 2018 - Proceedings of the 10th ACM Conference on Web Science. Association for Computing Machinery, Inc, p. 255-259 5 p. (WebSci 2018 - Proceedings of the 10th ACM Conference on Web Science).
- Taneja, H., Wu, A. X. & Edgerly, S., May 1 2018, “Rethinking the generational gap in online news use: An infrastructural perspective” In: New Media and Society. 20, 5, p. 1792-1812 21 p.
- Nelson, J. L. & Taneja, H., Oct 1 2018, “The small, disloyal fake news audience: The role of audience availability in fake news consumption” In: New Media and Society. 20, 10, p. 3720-3737 18 p.
- Taneja, H., Sep 1 2017, “Mapping an audience-centric World Wide Web: A departure from hyperlink analysis” In: New Media and Society. 19, 9, p. 1331-1348 18 p.